Down on the Farm

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Now the calf count is FIVE!!


Friday morning Pansy had a heifer calf, and she's a bit reddish in color with white on her face. I said to Jim, "Can I keep her??". He reminded me of the pain in the butt it has been to keep Cocoa and Abi, heifers from the first batch of calves, separate from the others and the bull. This little calf is from our bull, so she can't breed with him, it would crazy to keep her and manage to not let him around her. Anyway, I know she can't stay, but man o man, is she CUTE! Then Saturday, cow #24 had a heifer calf also, all black. #24 is black too, as is #12. So they didn't get names, I only named the ones with white face markings. Elsie, Pansy, Daisy, Curlie, and Fluffy. Then we have our heifers, Cocoa and Abi. Neat cows, I sure love them. I could not look at the babies enough this weekend, I'm sure the mom cows are glad we are gone home, they don't really like us to hang around the babies. But I LOVE to watch them, it's amazing to see the natural way they care for their newborns, such instinct, I love it! So here is Pansy (she has a face like a Panda bear, hence the name Pansy) and her new baby girl! The shadow you see is US in the Treker, our fun 4 wheel drive, 2 seat vehicle, it has a dump bed and has been wonderful around the farm. We go everywhere in it, Jim has paths cut in the woods, so we can scoot along, checking out the whole farm!

1 Comments:

  • That is so incredible!!! The boys would be insanely happy with all those cows. Grant would be in there loving them to pieces, he is such an animal freak.

    So cool!!!! Thanks for sharing!!

    By Blogger Jen, At 4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home