Down on the Farm

Monday, November 13, 2006

Birds going South??


This photo was on our stealth cam at the farm. November 1st was the date on it. I guess after the world series was over, and the St. Louis Cardinals had won, the bird Cardinals headed south. These made a stop at the farm and set off the cam. Pretty cool huh?

I hope you can see the Cardinals, the males stand out pretty much, the females are there but it's just not quite light enough to see them all in this smaller photo. Anyway, we are making progress with the new fence around the barn lot. When it's done a few of the bigger calves are going to be in there, away from the moms. They are too big to be nursing yet! Winter is upon us, and once it flies by, we'll be back to spring and more new baby calves! Yahoo. My first calf, Abi, is going to be a mom this time around. Hard to believe we have had them long enough for our first calf to be a mom in the spring. She was born on my dad's birthday, March 13th. That makes her even more special to me. She was exactly the calf I told Jim I wanted, a little white face heifer. Soon she won't be a heifer anymore, she'll be a cow. Her fate is better than Red Boy's. He's going to become hamburger in a year or so. Poor Red Boy, he should have been a girl, then he could have been a mom and stayed on the farm for several years.

So now deer season is up and going. We are having the annual deer camp party this Saturday. Jim will fry fish and taters, I'll make my usual chicken veggie soup. Party time!!! Jim isn't really hunting but if the big buck comes out in his view, I'm sure he'll take a shot. Poor deer, I like watching them, I don't want them to get shot. I wish I could tell them our farm is safe, hide out till the season is over!!

So as much as I love going to the farm, the day after Thanksgiving sales are looking pretty tempting. I might have to stay home and shop!!! We have a baby to buy for this year! Yahoo for being a Grandma!!!!

1 Comments:

  • THat is really cool!!! We have a lot of cardinals around here, but I;ve never seen that many gather in one spot!!!

    By Blogger Jen, At 8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home